Friday, June 14, 2013

Healthy dinner, times two

For the past two nights I have prepared meals that are new to us.  Wednesday I threw frozen chicken breasts in the crock-pot with the intent to use the chicken for several meals.  That evening I prepared a healthy all-in-one dish that was an immediate favorite.  It was a little time consuming since I deviated from the original recipe and added additional ingredients. I saw this dish on a blog that I read and thought it looked yummy.  Here is what you need:

  • 2 cubed and cooked sweet potatoes (I cut them and then microwave to just soften)
  • 1 can of black beans (rinsed)
  • 1-2 cups of fresh edamame (I used frozen since I couldn't find fresh. Cooked in microwave for 5 minutes)
  • 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breasts
  • Red pepper, fresh mushrooms, shredded carrots, onions and garlic sauteed in olive oil
  • 1 cup sweet corn (I used canned but fresh would be best)
  • Ken's Lite Northern Italian w/Basil and Romano
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl with Italian dressing.  Top with feta cheese before serving.

Shown without feta cheese

Last night I used more of the cooked chicken and made a homemade BBQ chicken pizza.  I made a pizza last week with Laughing Cow Cheese and pesto topped with fresh veggies and chicken and it was delicious.  I was hoping for a repeat performance but with BBQ sauce. And I got it. I used what I had on hand, but would use sliced red onions and cilantro next time.
  • Whole wheat pre-made pizza crust
  • 2 cups cooked, diced chicken breasts
  • 1 cup tangy BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
  • Fresh mushrooms
  • Shredded Italian cheese
Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

I always complement our meals with a mixed greens and spinach salad loaded with strawberries, blueberries, red grapes, mandarin oranges, pecans, dried cherries,and feta cheese drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. The salad itself is a meal.

BBQ chicken pizza (1/2 with mushrooms)

Fully loaded veggie pizza from last week

Now instead of cardboard pizza, we will be eating homemade ones.   Next on the agenda...Hawaiian Pizza!

1 comment: