Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Official Start of Summer

Schools Out for Summer!

When our daughters were in school (college doesn't count), it was a tradition that my sister would call and sing the lyrics of "School's Out for Summer" by Alice Cooper.  Well, Thursday was my last day of school and I was singing that song out loud in the car as I pulled away from school Thursday afternoon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job, but I am really ready for a break.  I will miss all the fifth graders that I had over the years who received Title I intervention services.  However, they have been prepared to leave elementary school and take on the new challenges that come with being a middle school student. My biggest concern is for those students who leave the security and stability of an every day routine in school.  Summer break offers them none of this. Since most of my students come from broken homes and have moved frequently, I worry about their well-being. Several of my students will not be returning in the fall because they are moving, once again to a new school.  This breaks my heart.  My only hope is that they remember the love and encouragement that they received from the teachers and staff at our school.  Teaching is a lot like parenting.  You only have your children for such a short time, so spend that time wisely and hope that you have provided them the tools and resources they will need to be successful in life.  So now I am ready to enjoy my summer, spending my time catching up on all the things that get neglected during the school year.  

1 comment: